Notes from the September 19 2008 meeting
In attendance: Scott, Khalid, Kathy, Bruce. By phone: Faisal
- Calendar established at Google calendars
- Instructions for registering at xafs.org
Next meeting Friday October 17
Kathy's notes from the meeting
XAFS Educational Initiatives – Meeting 9/19/2008
Scott Calvin, Bruce Ravel, Syed Khalid, Faisal Alamgir (on phone), Kathy Nasta
- Faisal and Scott will do the bulk of the work.
- Scott would like to continue with how things were fleshed out last time and continue to create new pieces. In addition, chunks may be suitable to particular people as we go along.
- Scott talked about discussion held with Chi-Chang and Kathy -
- BNL Graphic Arts and Videographer available at no charge
- Web master should be available – Kathy is checking – NSLS funds
- Graduate students to teach the basic courses?
- Come up with schedule of milestones and anticipated budgetary needs
- Need to get milestones and timeline together:
- Pre-visit orientation (under 1 hour duration)
Example segment on sample prep October 20, 2008
- Script (Faisal)October 1
- (window material, powders, tape)
- Media (all but Bruce will be away)October 15
- (need to choose some good actors/actresses for video…
- need to contact people in mind Theanne? Cherno?)
Storyboards (initial ideas of basics) September 19, 2008 (done)
Scripts (what text is going where, graphics, etc.) November 20, 2008
- – probably parallel with media
Media (video and voiceovers) December 1, 2008
Initial version complete (web development) December 15, 2008
“Testing Phase” (students?) January 15, 2009
Going live February 1, 2009
- Course support modules (unknown – maybe 5 hours total?)'''June 15, 2009'''
- Same milestones as above (can’t really put dates on individual pieces now)
- Training the trainers (3 days)'''August 15, 2009'''
- Outline the course
- Develop course materials
- Schedule training course?
- Select trainers
- Train trainers
- 3-day plan for the course:
- Day 1 lectures, sample prep
- Day 2 lectures, data collection
- Day 3 lectures, data analysis
August 15, 2009, is targeted end point on this. Have the trainers ready to start teaching the courses with the new Fall year.
- Need to be sure (2) and (3) are complimentary to each other – don’t repeat too much with the topic areas.
- Suggestion that we do some beta testing of materials prior to launching full set of stuff in Fall.
- (Gather feedback from inexperienced users – people who are not really trying to actually conduct an experiment just yet. Surveys?)
- Regarding the trainers, can they get some “credit” from the NSLS for doing this? This way when they are applying for a position elsewhere, they have some certification of being able to teach these courses. Kathy will check into – can it come from BNL or maybe through Stony Brook University? Might be better to have it through BNL.
- Reviewed storyboard ideas previously developed that are already posted on WIKI
- Question about licensing of the materials – need to have licensing statement prepared and that all this materials can be used and shared (but should include attribution). Chi-Chang okayed via e-mail.
- Discussion about “advertising” the pre-visit orientation when users are submitting a proposal (with opt-out option for experienced users) in the PASS system as a link somewhere.
Next meeting date: Friday, October 17th, at 1:15 p.m.
Bruce's notes from the meeting
- get through all this in a year (end of summer '09)
- at end of year be ready to have someone who is not us teach one of these courses.
- when do we identify trainees -- answer: summer '09 to start teaching fall '09
- web tools and course training intended to go together
- identify pre-testers/beta testers
Pre visit orientation milestones
- already have scripts/storyboards for teaching modules in some kind of finished form
- media is on its way
- initial versions complete
- going live
- all in prep of testing phase (give to people not familiar with xafs to sanity test)
- example segment -- sample prep as our initial
- less than an hour
- October 20th: sample prep example
- scripts: November 20
- media: Dec. 1 until 15
- Mid-December 15th-ish 2008 target for initial versions complete scripts + media + web development
- testing phase through January
- going line Feb 1-ish 2009
Course support modules milestones
- same sequence of milestones as for pre-visit section
- web education apps to be completed prior to taking a course
- self-check quizes
- on the order of 5 hours
- target date: June 15th
Training the trainers
(syllabus, training materials, identifying people to teach the course)
- outline course
- develop course modules (not media)
- select traners
- train trainers
- Target date: august 15th-ish, 2009
- certification of completion of training????
Sample prep script
- draft script soon: Oct 1.
- stuff in a frame
- materials (kapton) + basic problems
- getting your sample to the synchrotron
- Faisal is the lead
- media: Oct 15