Introductory and Tutorial Information on XAFS
Be sure to look at the [:Workshops:Workshops Page] for material from recent workshops. Many of these workshops have slides from talks posted on-line.
XAFS Tutorials and Overviews hosted off-site
[http://gbxafs.iit.edu/training/tutorials.html XAFS Tutorials] from Grant Bunker, at IIT
[http://srs.dl.ac.uk/XRS/Theory/theory.html EXAFS Theory] from Daresbury Lab, UK
[http://www.p-ng.si/~arcon/xas/xas/xas.htm XAS Overview] from Iztok Arčon, University of Nova Gorica, Jozef Stefan Institute, Slovenia
[http://rscott.myweb.uga.edu/protocols.html#XASTut A set of XAS tutorials with a biological science bent] from Robert Scott's group at University of Georgia
[http://www.umich.edu/~jphgroup/XAS_Course/index.htm A course presented by Jim Panner-Hahn] at the University of Sydney, August-September, 2005
XAFS Tutorials and Overviews hosted on xafs.org (PDF format except where noted)
Except where noted, these are PDF files containing sets of slides for an oral presentation
- Matt Newville's Tutorials: The last two files are companions to the longer write-up, containing similar material in a form more suitable for a lecture. This material (write-up, and the corresponding slides) is a work in progress. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
- [attachment:Newville_xas_fundamentals.pdf The Fundamentals of XAFS]: a ~40 page introduction to XAFS, aimed at the advanced undergraduate level.
- [attachment:Newville_Intro.pdf Fundamentals of X-ray Absorption Fine Structure]
- [attachment:Newville_Expt.pdf Anatomy of an XAFS Experiment]
- Shelly Kelly's Tutorials:
- [attachment:Basics_of_XAFS_to_chi_2009.pdf The Basics of processing chi(k) data in Athena]: introducing the basics of processing chi(k) data in Athena.
- [attachment:Basics_of_XAFS_analysis_2009.pdf The Basics of modeling EXAFS spectra in Artemis]: introducing the basics of modeling EXAFS spectra in Artemis.
- Bruce Ravel's Tutorials:
- [attachment:hbcu.pdf X-ray Absorption Spectroscopy in the Physical and Biological Sciences]: a short introductory presentation for an audience seeing XAS for the first time
[attachment:iiss.pdf Introduction to Inner Shell Spectroscopy]: a longer introduction to XAS and XRF originally written for a [http://www.lightsource.ca/education/summerschool/ synchrotron summer school] at the [http://www.lightsource.ca Canadian Light Source].
XAFS Tutorials and Overviews in languages other than English
- [attachment:Xie_XAFSv1.ppt Introduction to XAFS] from Yaning Xie, Senior Researcher at Beijing Synchrotron Radiation Facility (BSRF) and Institute of High Energy Physics, Beijing, China.
Information on Specific Topics in XAFS
[:Experiment/OverAbsorption:Information about various sample-related distortions to measured XAS data, and how to avoid them]
[:Reporting EXAFS Analysis:What information should be reported in your manuscirpt with XAFS Analysis?]
Books and Review Articles
Note: We do not endorse amazon.com, but a link to an amazon page for these books is included where available:
X-ray Absorption: Principles, Applications, Techniques of EXAFS, SEXAFS, and XANES in Chemical Analysis vol. 92 edited by D.C. Koningsberger and R.Prins, John Wiley & Sons, 1988 [http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0471875473/qid=1038079831/sr=1-3/ref=sr_1_3/103-6387533-8595808?v=glance&s=books amazon link]
Basic Principles and Applications of EXAFS, Chapter 10 of Handbook of Synchrotron Radiation, pp 995--1014. E. A. Stern and S. M. Heald, edited by E. E. Koch, North-Holland, 1983. [http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0444867104/qid=1038080383/sr=1-6/ref=sr_1_6/103-6387533-8595808?v=glance&s=books amazon link]
Elements of Modern X-ray Analysis, Jens Als-Nielsen, Des McMorrow. John Wiley & Sons, 2001. This is an excellent book covers many aspects of x-ray and synchrotron science, includ ing a brief section on x-ray absorption, EXAFS, and dichroism. [http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0471498580/qid=1038079978/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/103-6387533-8595808?v=glance&s=books amazon link]
[http://ojps.aip.org/dbt/dbt.jsp?KEY=RMPHAT&Volume=72&Issue=3 Theoretical approaches to x-ray absorption fine structure] J. J. Rehr and R. C. Albers, Reviews of Modern Physics Vol 72, pp. 621-892 (2000).
Analysis of Soils and Minerals Using X-ray Absorption Spectroscopy Kelly, S.D., Hesterberg, D., and Ravel, B., in Methods of Soil Analysis, Part 5 -Mineralogical Methods, (A.L. Ulery and L.R. Drees, Eds.) p. 367. Soil Science Society of America, Madison, WI, USA, 2008.[http://www.amazon.com/Methods-Soil-Analysis-Part-Mineralogical/dp/0891188460/ref=si3_rdr_bb_product amazon link]
Webcasts, screencasts, and other remote learning tools
[http://www.screencast.com/users/FitIt/folders/Screencasts Local structure refinement on the basis of XANES fitting using FitIt software]
[:Community/NSLSXasTraining:XAS Training at NSLS]
- ["Acronyms"]: A glossary of acronyms used in the x-ray absorption literature.